Re: OverbiteNX

Cameron Kaiser <spectre@floodgap.com> wrote:

> (replying to both)
>
> The protocol handler approach is the key. Note that Chrome doesn't allow
> "gopher://"; to be used this way (yet -- Firefox didn't either but I
> successfully talked them into it).
>
> As far as redirecting to a web handler, that's OverbiteWX. In fact, 0.4 will
> come out later this week with some internal plumbing changes that fix the
> extra redirect steps in history and also switches the proxy to use HTTPS to
> Floodgap. The next step is multiple proxy support. OverbiteWX will not be
> decommissioned since it's the simplest thing to do.
>
> However, I still don't like having to bounce gopher requests through
> proxies for both privacy and efficiency reasons. A native TCP sockets
> feature in Firefox would neatly solve the problem, but this would at least
> get native connections even if a few more hoops are required.
> ..

Maybe I missed something but would it not be feasible to use a gateway
proxy on the end-user's system for gopher requests?  What I'm thinking of
is anything port 70 and/or gopher:// makes requests through the locally
installed gateway which is some sort of lightweight www-to-gopher proxy
written in something very portable.  Experientially it would be like
OverbiteWX but all installed on the end-user's machine.

-J