Re: [gopher] bandwidth overhead for gopher

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Ciprian Dorin Craciun <ciprian.craciun@gmail.com> wrote:
Compare this with Gopher which doesn't have any caching control
mechanism, thus if I go between two menus (or files) back-and-forth,
although their content didn't changed, they will get downloaded again
and again.

Therefore if we take into account the HTTP caching ability, Gopher
loses quite badly.

I kind of see Gopher a bit differently ;:)
Treat it as an "application protocol" if you will.

If you switch back and forth between menus...
Who's to say the content of those menus don't change each time? :)

But on the bright side, I currently can see Gopher used perhaps in
embedded software as a way to implement control dashboards or obtain
debugging data.  This is due to the protocols simplicity, where there
is no need for a Gopher client or server library, and one can use a
straight socket and be fully up-and-running, thus perhaps implement
something resembling a CGI solution in ten lines of Bash.

Precisely :)

cheers
James