Re: [gopher] GopherMole - a gopher media crawler

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 9:13 PM, Mateusz Viste <mateusz@viste.fr> wrote:
That's what I was suggesting, yes.

One could argue that a single server might contain a plethora of documents, each of which would be encoded in a specific charset, and that's certainly a possibility. But in practice, I have always seen servers saying (in human language, mainly on their root page) "this server is serving content in utf-8", and rarely or never "this specific document is encoded in xyz".

But still, the CAPS capability I was suggesting was about a "default" encoding, that is, "if not specified otherwise, assume everything on this server is encoded in this encoding". That way, if one day there is a mechanism that allows to specify the charset on a per-document basis, both won't collide (although I doubt such specific mechanism will appear, but of course one can never be sure of the future).

Currently, gopher clients are supposed to assume ISO Latin 1, as per RFC 1436. The ServerDefaultCharset CAPS setting I was suggesting in my message from 31st of December, 2014, was simply a way to overload that RFC charset.

well to that end I've decided it's trivial enough to publish this "configuration item" in cgod

gopher://daisy.shortcircuit.net.au/0/caps.txt

cheers
James