Re: [gopher] GopherMole - a gopher media crawler

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 7:55 PM, Mateusz Viste <mateusz@viste.fr> wrote:
Quite untrue. UTF-8 doesn't 'degrade' to anything, unless only low-ascii characters are used. Anything else gets encoded into 2,3 or 4 bytes-long code points, and these are guaranteed to be misrendered by any client unaware of UTF-8.

Mis-rendered correct (which is what I meant)
but the client "won't break".

What's what I meant by "degrade".

*I think* a Gopher server that splits out UTF_8 encoded data to a Client that doesn't support UTF-8 encoding will still display the content (just not any codepoint higher than 255)?

cheers
James