Re: [gopher] Draft RFC

My understanding is that URL: selectors do NOT assume HTTP. Any URL
(except gopher or telnet sessions) can be represented using a URL:
selector. However, they are specified under the h item-type so that
gopher clients which do not specifically understand URL: links can be
served an HTML document which will redirect them. This provides for
some level of support for clients which don't directly understand
URL:. This is a solution which seems to work well (at least in my
limited experience) and I see no reason to alter it.

On 6/21/12, Bradley D. Thornton <Bradley@northtech.us> wrote:

> On 06/21/2012 09:13 AM, Wolfgang Faust wrote:
>
>> * The redirect is for clients which don't support URL: links but which
>> do support HTML. They will be sent to the correct location so that
>> they're not left wondering what went wrong.
>
> Isn't this best left as a function for clients?
>
> I'm just throwing this out there, and could be wrong, yet it seems to be
> that URL is for URL and not for HTTP or <a href=http://blah></a>
>
> In my thinking, and historically so, Microsoft started the trend on
> making browsers braindead. Before the netscape wars you could reliably
> expect a level of competence from the user. Sure, (and I think it was
> Netscape that actually introduced it), you could declare a host whose
> name began with 'www.sld.tld' on the address bar and the browser would
> assume that you meant 'http://www.sld.tld', but that was simply because
> convention dictates that a host named 'www' is typically a service
> listening on port 80.
>
> Even now, we enter 'gopher://host.sld.tld/....' (An URL)
>
> and should we (inhabitants of the planet Earth) pay the price for
> Microsoft's policy of "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" by permitting the
> user to become so stupid as to not know that:
>
> ftp://host.sld.tld is different from http://host.sld.tld - even if (I'm
> not certain of this anymore) the hostname you placed on your browser's
> address bar would be converted to ftp://ftp.sld.tld if you entered
> 'ftp.sld.tld'?
>
> But that's why the protocol in the string on the address bar....
>
> I may have a an FTP server called jikjau.sld.tld and an HTTP server
> called chickensau.sld.tld.
>
> What about:
>
> irc://chat.freenode.net (an URL)
>
> skype://tallship/chat (an URL that leads to me)
>
> or some other URL.
>
> I'm really not comfortable with solutions that defer to HTTP as *the*
> definition of an URL, much less a proposed standard that does, by
> assuming that a client's lack of understanding of URL somehow assumes
> that it is the server's job to redirect with an HTTP URL....
>
> If that's what your saying in the RFC draft WIP.
>
> And yes, I think it would be best to make sure it's formatted in RFC
> format too ;) After all, that's how it's going to need to be submitted.
>
> I applaud your effort and see some good stuff there. I also believe that
> we *may* enjoy some benefit from publishing an RFC draft - but having
> served on many task forces, steering committees, and working groups for
> the IETF, IRTF, and IRSG of the IETF and IAB, I both caution and urge
> the entire group here NOT to submit such a draft in haste, as there is
> obviously much more consensus to be reached here, understanding between
> the party's involved, and indeed some maturation of the notions which
> will be proposed in such a draft RFC.
>
> I'm also glad that Chris Lohmann elaborated upon his objections and why
> - - so many people just offer a, "Yeah me too", or a "I don't like that" -
> [...]

01010111 01101111 01101100 01100110