Re: [gopher] Draft RFC

On 06/21/2012 09:13 AM, Wolfgang Faust wrote:

> * The redirect is for clients which don't support URL: links but which
> do support HTML. They will be sent to the correct location so that
> they're not left wondering what went wrong.

Isn't this best left as a function for clients?

I'm just throwing this out there, and could be wrong, yet it seems to be
that URL is for URL and not for HTTP or <a href=http://blah></a>

In my thinking, and historically so, Microsoft started the trend on
making browsers braindead. Before the netscape wars you could reliably
expect a level of competence from the user. Sure, (and I think it was
Netscape that actually introduced it), you could declare a host whose
name began with 'www.sld.tld' on the address bar and the browser would
assume that you meant 'http://www.sld.tld', but that was simply because
convention dictates that a host named 'www' is typically a service
listening on port 80.

Even now, we enter 'gopher://host.sld.tld/....' (An URL)

and should we (inhabitants of the planet Earth) pay the price for
Microsoft's policy of "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" by permitting the
user to become so stupid as to not know that:

ftp://host.sld.tld is different from http://host.sld.tld - even if (I'm
not certain of this anymore) the hostname you placed on your browser's
address bar would be converted to ftp://ftp.sld.tld if you entered
'ftp.sld.tld'?

But that's why the protocol in the string on the address bar....

I may have a an FTP server called jikjau.sld.tld and an HTTP server
called chickensau.sld.tld.

What about:

irc://chat.freenode.net (an URL)

skype://tallship/chat (an URL that leads to me)

or some other URL.

I'm really not comfortable with solutions that defer to HTTP as *the*
definition of an URL, much less a proposed standard that does, by
assuming that a client's lack of understanding of URL somehow assumes
that it is the server's job to redirect with an HTTP URL....

If that's what your saying in the RFC draft WIP.

And yes, I think it would be best to make sure it's formatted in RFC
format too ;) After all, that's how it's going to need to be submitted.

I applaud your effort and see some good stuff there. I also believe that
we *may* enjoy some benefit from publishing an RFC draft - but having
served on many task forces, steering committees, and working groups for
the IETF, IRTF, and IRSG of the IETF and IAB, I both caution and urge
the entire group here NOT to submit such a draft in haste, as there is
obviously much more consensus to be reached here, understanding between
the party's involved, and indeed some maturation of the notions which
will be proposed in such a draft RFC.

I'm also glad that Chris Lohmann elaborated upon his objections and why
- - so many people just offer a, "Yeah me too", or a "I don't like that" -
which is fricken worthless towards achieving a goal. Those people might
as well not even bother commenting.

Why nots, and Alternatives are also very important in such a process.

We've ventured into territory that I believe is outside the scope of
what this list was originally intended - but that's okay, as long as we
understand that at least some threads on this list moving forward are
going to be functionally the equivilant of an IETF working group or
steering committee - which demands a slow, methodical plodding along in
order to produce truly wonderul results.

A few weeks of hard work is to be appluaded, but IMSHO doesn't rise to
the standards of producing such truly wonderful results - it is a start
towards that.

I hope I have not offended anyone or caused any undue tl;dr's :)

- --
Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services
NorthTech Computer