Re: [gopher] Draft RFC

On 21 June 2012 04:16, Christoph Lohmann <20h@r-36.net> wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:16:05 +0200 Nick Matavka <n.theodore.matavka.files@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello, world!
>>
>> Having spent several weeks writing this, I believe that the draft RFC
>> is just about ready to be published.  Without further ado, allow me to
>> present the new Gopher specification!  Unless anyone says otherwise,
>> this is what will get published.
>>
>> http://piratepad.net/gopher
>> [snip ... too long signature]
>
> I am against this draft:
> 1.) The caps file shouldn't be in the *protocol* specification.
> 2.) robots.txt shouldn't be in the *protocol* specification.
> 3.) about.txt shouldn't be in the *protocol* specification.
> 4.) The definition of the full stop termination of text files in
>    this draft does not solve anything. It can be sent as before
>    and clients have to take some magic to know if it is part of
>    the content or the transfer protocol.
> 5.) Why is there a need to include the HTTP error codes? Item type
>    3 and predefined strings should simplify it.
> 6.) Who uses this TITLE stuff?
> 7.) According to that draft proposal it is possible to have the
>    confusion without the »h« item type in conjunction.
> 8.) Servers still have to provide the redirection hack. This draft
>    does not solve anything there.
> 9.) Why is there a definition of a redirect page? Why are people
>    restricted in it? Couldn't it just be avoided?
>
> My  conclusion is, that with that draft in action gopher is nothing else
> but a simplified HTTP with hacks and more unspecified behaviour.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Christoph Lohmann

If caps and robots shouldn't be in the protocol specification, where
does one standardise such things?  Several people actually
Google-Doced that these things must be there.

What I am seeking to do is take a snapshot of Gopher as currently
used, and there's no question that caps and robots are currently used.

If I were to implement your changes, there would be nothing left but
effectively the 1991 version of gopher.

--
       /^\/^\
       \----|