Re: [gopher] Updated Gopher RFC

> > > To my understanding (I stopped coding for living years ago)
> > > JavaScript these days has TCP sockets.
> >
> > I might be completely off my mark here, but no, I don't think it does.
> > If it did, Overbite extensions would've implemented gopher directly in
> > JavaScript instead of redirecting to web gateways.
>
> Uh-oh, you're right. And people still think Javascript is a good idea? Damn...

WebSockets have same-origin limitations and are not truly raw sockets (they
have some internal protocol glue). It is conceivable the same-origin limits
could be lifted for a privileged extension, but the sockets aren't "raw
enough" to suffice even then.

> Well, both Flash and Java have real sockets, and you can offer both through
> gopher. I know my idea is a bit far-fetched, but in theory it should work.

At one time I thought about using Flash sockets, but Flash is now limiting
applets to same-origin as well.

A Java applet might be worth a try, but Java has really had a lot of
security black eyes lately.

-- Life is too short to use anything but a Mac. -- Roger Ebert ----------------