Re: [gopher] Updated Gopher RFC

On May 8, 2012, at 11:22 AM, Damien Carol <damien.carol@gmail.com> wrote:

It's my proposal : to have generic types :

Old one

My Proposal

Name

Description

1

1

MENU

Menu

0

0

TEXT

Small text file, render directly in browser in easy way

3

3

ERROR

Tell client that result is KO

7

7

INDEX / PROGRAMS

You now it

9

9

BINARY

Binary, generic one

5

5

ARCHIVE

Binary but check it as ARCHIVE (zip, rar, etc…)

g, P, I

Image File

Binary but check it as IMAGE (JPG, GIF, BMP, etc…)

;

Video File

Binary but check it as VIDEO (AVI, MKV, etc….)

Audio File

Binary but check it as AUDIO (WAV, mp3, etc…)

Document Text File

Binary but check it as TEXT (Plain, Word, ODF, etc…)

EXTERNAL URL

Check the selector for "URL:"

My problem with using 'V' for ';' and other switches is that although they may be more intuitive they also will require altering clients to resupport extensions they already support for no particular reason. I think ';' is a dumb designation but it already works. I see no reason to make Cameron recode the various versions of Overbite or to have the Lynx folks change their browser because we chose to break with established practice on a whim.