Re: [gopher] Selector types summary

Hello,

Cameron Kaiser wrote:
CSO is the same as the old ph. OverbiteFF supports it; this gopher URL
talks to a working server at uic.edu:105, queries it for "sachs" and
displays both (current) matches:

	gopher://ns.uic.edu:105/2query%20sachs%20return%20all

If you do

	gopher://ns.uic.edu:105/2

then you will get a requester box. Of course, the itemtype rewriting
code in 2.1.1554 does this wrong and offers to rewrite it to item type 1;
I will fix this. Just click cancel and the requester will appear.

thanks for the hints.

8 and T are redundant for interactive sessions? I would propose
a selector type for SSH: 's'.

s is used intermittently for "generic sound." Other de-facto item types I
have encountered include p (PNG), d (PDF), x (XML) and c (CSS). OverbiteFF
currently supports all of these.

Then the namespace seems to be overused.

How about a simple 'u' item type? The selector should be an URI,
with the server and port being ignored. This is redundant, but
redundancy is already a feature of the gopher protocol.

Of course there is the possiblity to define all 256 possibilites
of item types with various standards and meta-standards.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann