Re: [gopher] GopherVR 0.4

> > GopherVR 0.4 is out. This should really shore up the groundwork. Go get it.
> >
> >        gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/gophervr
>
> Neato.  Worked just fine on my MacBook running 10.5.8.  Nice work.  I'm glad
> somebody picked up this project.  Is there any non-programming (my C
> knowledge is limited at best) help that you need?

Alas, at this point in time, the app is pretty much going to remain straight
C. I have a feeling porting it to a higher-level language would not only be
unsatisfactory operationally, but also from a performance perspective unless
the software renderer were replaced with, say, OpenGL bindings. This is of
course non-trivial and not really something I want to embark on right now.

> It would be nice if GopherVR someday (supposing there's a way to do this
> well) could display descriptive text in the GopherVR, so it wouldn't require
> flipping back and fourth between two different windows to view one menu.
> But, again, awesome work getting it up and running again.

If you mean i itemtype, that would just be a big mess with modern menus.
However, I am planning a sort of HUD or at least tooltip display to get
more information on objects in the scene. If you have any ideas about that,
lay them on me.

-- Xerox never comes up with anything original. -------------------------------