Re: non-essential adduser poses problems to purging packages

On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 07:05:11PM +0900, Simon Richter wrote:
> As far as I've understood, adduser's "deluser" command can remove all
> remaining files and optionally make a backup -- that's its main advantage
> over passwd's "userdel", which isn't Essential either, but at least

Adduser/Deluser are policy moved into code, taking away the burden of
having to handle corner cases in prerm/postrm. I am working on a policy
change to allow deluser to be more configurable for the local admin.

Many packages don't remove an account in postinst because this offers
the possibility of leaving unowned files around.

Adduser didn't get this functionality completed in time for bookworm.

Independent of what you do to solve the issue at hand, please DON'T give
package maintainers the idea that deluser might be obsolete and DON'T
encourage them to move to userdel in their prerm/postrm.

Greetings
Marc