Re: non-essential adduser poses problems to purging packages

Hi,

On 5/22/23 18:27, Andreas Beckmann wrote:

I'd prefer this way over making adduser globally fake-essential (as that would introduce adduser into all upgrade paths. (Making it fake-essential for only a few packages would probably no longer work with Protected:yes).

Policy[1] is fairly clear on this:

    Therefore, all postrm actions must only rely on essential packages
    and must gracefully skip any actions that require the package’s
    dependencies if those dependencies are unavailable.

So I see the following options:

 - make adduser Essential
- teach packages' postrm to ignore problems and piuparts to ignore leftover user accounts

As far as I've understood, adduser's "deluser" command can remove all remaining files and optionally make a backup -- that's its main advantage over passwd's "userdel", which isn't Essential either, but at least Priority: required.

Do the postrm scripts actually use that function, or is the dependency unnecessary completely? Also, are there scenarios where user removal would fail (central management?) and we should still be able to remove the package?

   Simon

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-maintainerscripts.html#id4