Re: apt-get update fails in apt 1.1.3/1.1.4

On Wed, Dec 09, 2015 at 06:21:19PM +0000, Hiroyuki Kawakatsu wrote:
> On 2015-12-09, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> [...]
> > Probably as root or normal user right?
>
> yes, as root.
>
> > apt 1.1 runs methods as user
> > _apt, so user _apt needs to be able to resolve domain names.
>
> does _apt not know about /etc/resolv.conf? if not, how do i let _apt
> know about it?

Well it knows, but I'm not sure if it's readable for _apt (or other
users). You might want to look at that.

> > Try running something like ping as _apt and check if it works (or
> > just do a plain DNS query with dig).
> [...]
>
> how do i login as _apt?
>
> machine_name# whoami
> root
> machine_name# su - _apt
> No directory, logging in with HOME=/
> machine_name# whoami
> root

You cannot login as _apt. You can still use it with

   sudo -u _apt  <command>...
for example:
   sudo -u _apt ping debian.org

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.

When replying, only quote what is necessary, and write each reply
directly below the part(s) it pertains to (`inline'). Thank you.