Re: [apt] Fails to upgrade form Wheezy to jessie with apt+dpkg first

Hi David,

please cc: me on replies.

On Samstag, 7. Februar 2015, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> > $ apt-get -y install dpkg apt
> > [... tons of debug output ...]
>
> Well, as the one who asked for all this output to be generated, let me
> say that I am happy about it as it means that the following is curtsy of
> just reading and skipping over these lines rather than taking hours to
> get this reproduced. Its all a matter of knowing what they actually
> mean of course. Someday I should give a course…

:)

As someone who thinks the logs are too big and uncomprehensible now (iceweasel
is not scrolling these huge logs nicely anymore), I wonder if there's an
option to write these extended logs into a file, which can be downloaded
seperatly?

Because, I have already thought about removing this debug output again,
because it makes the logs unreadable to most of us.

Or: if a job fails, run it again with debug output enabled, and save that
second run output in a file which can be downloaded seperatly...

Any better suggestions?

> From there up, it only goes further downhill as it all becomes more and
> more surreal

thanks for your detailed investigation. I'll leave this to others to sort out
:/

> So, the solution to this is not in apt, nor is it an apt problem per-se.
> If you decide that this "upgrade first" scenario isn't of interest this
> is a non-issue. Everyone should just do a "apt-get dist-upgrade" and be
> done.

That's neither what the release note say nor what people do. Since years I
alwys do "upgrade" first and then "dist-upgrade"...

> P.S.: 'install' and 'dist-upgrade' have a very different approach to
> solving, so I am not very surprised that 'install' fails to do it and
> I doubt that problems seen in the bottom-up approach can be seen in
> a dist-upgrade - mostly as the cage-fight scores will be different.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to have another set of tests, where we do
"install" instead of "dist-upgrade"? jenkins ressources are cheap, finding
errors by chance through humans is expensive ;-)

cheers,
	Holger