Re: RFC deb822 sources.list format

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Michael Vogt <mvo@debian.org> wrote:
> B1;3406;0cHello,
>
> the idea of a more user-friendly sources.list in deb822 format was
> discussed on irc a while ago - iirc Paul Wise and David Kalnischkies
> came up with it (maybe its even older, I'm happy to give proper credit
> if someone knows/remembers).
>
> In addition to the traditional one-line format that is currently used
> we have a new experimental deb822 style format in development. It
> currently looks like this:
>
> """
> # some comment
> Type: deb
> URI: http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian
> Suite: stable testing unstable
> Section: main contrib
> """
>
> Supported are also the extra options:
>   "Architectures", "Architectures-Add", "Architectures-Remove",
>   "Trusted"

How about a Name field (for displaying in the UI)? Or, actually
instead of this and comments, how about a Description field with short
and long descriptions, as they are used in the package control files?
That's easier to parse then comments. Not supporting free-form #
comments also makes rewriting and programmatically modifying the files
easier

Type: deb
URI: http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian
Suite: stable testing unstable
Section: main contrib
 This is the official Debian mirror I use.

d-i could create such files with Description automatically.

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.