Re: RFC deb822 sources.list format

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 08:59:22PM +0100, Michael Vogt wrote:
> """
> # some comment
> Type: deb
> URI: http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian
> Suite: stable testing unstable
> Section: main contrib
> """
>
> Supported are also the extra options:
>   "Architectures", "Architectures-Add", "Architectures-Remove",
>   "Trusted"

It might be sensible to have a Key or Keyring field here, so that you can
say debian archives should be signed by the Debian key, and your personal
archive should be signed by your personal key, but not vice-versa. Having
an "Allow-Unsigned: yes" option to let you have a local repo that doesn't
have a signed Release file while still validating the main Debian archive
could also improve security over having apps just disable sig checking
globally.

It would be wonderful if you could specify basic apt-pinning bits here, so
that you could say something like:

  Type: deb deb-src
  URI: http://mirror.home.lan/debian
  Suite: testing
  Section: main contrib
  Default-Release: yes

  Type: deb deb-src
  URI: http://mirror.home.lan/debian
  Suite: unstable experimental
  Section: main contrib
  Pin-Priority: 50

Hmm, looking at things yum supports for its yum.repos.d/ files...

Having an "Enabled: false" field so that stanzas can be disabled without
commenting them out might be valuable? Not sure. Being able to distribute
pre-filled-out sources lists including things that are interesting but
not needed by default is a win; and Enabled: false->true is an easier
thing for aptitude or similar to switch over than a commented-out stanza
I think. Could be useful for backports, proposed-updates, non-free,
multimedia repos for instance.

Being able to specify mirrors in a single stanza might be useful? ie

  Type: deb deb-src
  URI: http://mirror.home.lan/debian
   http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/debian
   http://cdn.debian.net/debian
  Suite: testing
  Section: main contrib

vs

  deb http://mirror.home.lan/debian/ testing main contrib
  deb http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/debian/ testing main contrib
  deb http://cdn.debian.net/pub/debian/ testing main contrib
  deb-src http://mirror.home.lan/debian/ testing main contrib
  deb-src http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/debian/ testing main contrib
  deb-src http://cdn.debian.net/pub/debian/ testing main contrib

> I would welcome feedback on the naming of the
> fields/options. E.g. singular vs plural for field names (
> "Suite or Suites", "Section or Sections").

Support both as aliases?

Comments in rfc822 format files strike me as odd. I'd consider a "Comment:
..." field instead or something personally, probably.

It seems somewhat odd to do this as an rfc822 format rather than the {}
format used by apt's other config files. (I'd probably be in favour of
converting all apt's configfiles to rfc822-style, though; or yaml for
that matter)

</2c>

Cheers,
aj