Re: libapt-pkg introduction

Le 25.10.2013 15:46, David Kalnischkies a écrit :
I guess part of the reason is that all simple examples are either
incomplete or no longer simple.

Do you have any idea of where could be one of the incomplete ones?
I do not need something which is really doing a useful job, I need something
which shows the init process ( I have seen some "init" functions in
python-apt... ).
When I'll have that, with the doc and apt/aptitude to reverse, I should be
fine and will hopefully be able to quickly have very basic tools.

You could have a look at the proof-of-concept reimplementation of
apt-show-versions in C++(11): [what is the state on that anyway?]

C++11 rewrite? I'm not against that, but I wonder what is the interest? Rewrite just to rewrite seems like a loss of time (but on the other hand, I tried some perl programming and never had source code that I could say maintainable. But it's probably because I do not know perl enough.).

It shows at least how to init various datastructures we use and do stuff with them - even though all it does is read-only operations. The source code for 'apt-get download' can show you how you can ask the system to
download packages for you,

Those seems to be good starting points. Then, there are documentation and more complex source codes from apt-get and aptitude.

Legend has it that apt-get and friends are demos on
how package management could be done (with libapt) until the implementation of the graphical 'apt' would be completed. It's at least how I interpret
some of the ancient writings.

Aptitude to do black magic must be acquired by pain :)

[It was (of course) never completed.]

aptitude-gtk works, I think. At least, it did when I tried it 3 years ago... There is also synaptic which is used by a lot of people. But when I tried the graphical things, I was no longer able to intuitively use my keyboard to
do what I wanted, so I quickly came back to my good old aptitude.

What I meant with 'ancient writings' are mails in the archives of this list from 1997 which mention a graphical interface being in development.

I guess so, but with the terms "legend", and given that I often feel like people looks at me as if I was a sorcerer, I thought that it was funny to use "ancient writings".

My last information regarding aptitude-gtk is btw that it is unmaintained and no longer build by default. Maybe you want to take over by adding keyboard- driven interactions to it. ;) Aptitude developers will know more about that.

I am slowly "coming back" to terminal softwares for lot of uses, and am pretty happy with that, more than with most graphical soft. So if I want to contribute to some aptitude's part, it will be the ncurse one :)

PS: no need for cc ;)

I wasn't sure. Its usually the default on debian lists to not CC, but so is <80 chars on a line… I see that playing safe was wrong this time, sry.

No problem, I'm new on that mailing list so you could not know that I subscribed.

Thanks for your replies, I think I have enough to start playing now.