libapt-pkg introduction

Hello.

I hope I am asking help on the good list, I was not sure about which one to choose between debian-devel, dpkg and this one.

I am currently currently an aptitude user, but this software does few things that I do not need/want and slows it considerably ( searching for solutions when packages are broken, and this, every time you simply try to move selected package or fix one of the errors you have ). There are other things which makes me not completely happy with, but they could be fixed with patches since they fit into what I think is the goal of aptitude ( same packages from different architectures being shown as different packages, very basic usage of debtags where this tool could be a very powerful thing, and lot of minor improvements ).

So I wanted to take a look at how aptitude and apt are interacting with packages to try to make one with different goals ( using a ncurse interface like aptitude, but with less guessing from the system to have something faster even when packages are broken because some user's experiment ), and found that they use libapt-pkg. I installed it's dev and doc packages, and tried to search on Internet about documentation to know where to start, but have only found this:
http://apt.alioth.debian.org/python-apt-doc/library/apt_pkg.html

But it seems to be a python-apt related documentation, not libapt-pkg. So do someone knows if there is some very short and quick introduction that I could use as a starting point, or will I have to take a look directly in aptitude's or apt-get's source codes?

Thanks in advance.