Re: [Soc-coordination] Debdelta APT Integration - Report 2

On 6/20/11, Chris Baines <cbaines8@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Currently, in our implementation, we assume that the debdeltas are
>> found in the same location as the debs but I can only use it to test
>> with my local repo that I created for testing since there are no such
>> actual repositories. There are some debdelta repositories such as the
>> one created by Mennucc[2], and we need to use those when constructing
>> the delta URIs within pkgAcqDebdelta by some form of a replacement
>> rule. This rule can be set as an APT configuration option.
>
> Could you not just include both the debdelta repository URL and the
> main Debian repository URL in your /etc/apt/sources.list file?
>
> So it would look something like:
> deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
> deb http://debdeltas.debian.net/debian-deltas sid main contrib non-free
>
> I imagine this would require apt to be modified to detect debdeltas
> when running apt-get update, but I would see a setup like this as very
> flexible and fit for the future (debs and debdeltas in the main
> archives, no need for debdelta specific repositories).

We had a discussion about this. But since the deltas are stored in a
separate repo, we will have to add a line that would look something
like "debdelta http://debdeltas.debian.net/debian-deltas/ main" to
differentiate a normal repository from a debdelta repository. But this
will involve a considerable amount of modifications to libapt.

What I think more appropriate is to store the deltas with the debs in
the same repository. If we can do that, it will make the integration
much easier and effective. For instance, we can then refer to the
delta repositories with the same URIs found in the sources.list file,
hence no need to modify it. This will also rid the need of maintaining
a separate configuration file for debdelta. The important thing is, we
can achieve this with less/no modifications to libapt.

Having a URI replacement rule is a solution(may be temporary) to this
issue. Then we can replace the URIs of the sources.list with our
debdelta URI.