Re: queries about apt-ftparchive

2010/5/30 Karl Goetz <karl@kgoetz.id.au>:
> On Fri, 28 May 2010 19:45:02 +0200
> David Kalnischkies <kalnischkies+debian@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Am 28. Mai 2010 03:11:31 UTC+2 schrieb Karl Goetz <karl@kgoetz.id.au>:
>> >
>> > Strange default. It may not be worth finding the cause and
>> > documenting if the new version changes the behaviour? If I have
>> > time I'll have a quick look through the commit log for any
>> > obviously related changes.
>>
>> The "old" default is strange - yes. It is caused by the default to
>> parse all files matching *.deb for Packages - the new default
>> will be "*_$(ARCH).deb" or "*_all.deb" if one or more architectures
>

>> are given - if not it will continue to use *.deb - as this is what you
>> will want if you create a very simple flat archive for example.
>
> This still assumes your mirror is only for one arch though doesnt it?

Not necessary, but it assumes that if you run "apt-ftparchive packages"
(without the also new --arch option) in a directory with all files you want
to be included in the resulting Packages file. A flat archive e.g. need to
serve all packages for different architectures in one Packages file.
The tools using the Packages file will do the right thing™ later by
accepting only the architectures they can handle…

>> > oh, sweet. I might rebuild it on stable for my use until squeeze
>> > appears.
>>
>> What you need should be in revision [0], but i suspect it will not
>> apply cleanly on top of apt/lenny…
>
> mmm. and trying to install the newer apt on lenny would be insane.
> /me muses.

apt/experimental which would you need uses a different library abi
so yes, it would be difficult (= you would need to rebuilt a bunch of
reverse dependencies as well). But what you can try is to copy the
ftparchive-directory from apt/experimental to apt/lenny as apt-ftparchive
shouldn't depend on the library changes and built it for lenny.

Best regards,

David Kalnischkies