Re: RFC interaction with external dependency solver: Debian-CUDF

Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> Well, even in that case, you _eventually_ need to split up the universe
> into actions/transactions/... or whatever the low-level package manager
> calls them. For instance, in the full state you will always have some
> (usually a lot) of the currently installed packages and you will
> eventually need to recognize that you will not need to do anyhow with
> them, because they are good as they are.
I don't understand how is external solver is related to inner-tool actions.

> Now, Eugene, would that make things harder for cupt?
Yes, a bit. I will need to add yet another subroutine which produce the target
system state from the external diff.

> Otherwise stated, would you accept to "outsource" the computation of the
> diff to the external solver?
No. You however may choose any unambiguous protocol. The easiest for Cupt (and
IMHO most natural) is the target system state.

> If not, I can support a kind of protocol that I anticipated already: in
> the "preamble: " of the request to the external solver we add a
> "requested-format" or something such to choose among "new state" and
> "diff" styles.
Yes, I would like to have a way to request the target system state.

C++/Perl developer, Debian Developer