Re: RFC interaction with external dependency solver: Debian-CUDF

Hello thread.

Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> [ Explicit Cc to the people which expressed interest in this topic.
>   R-T/M-F-T set to deity@l.d.o as the most appropriate forum where to
>   discuss this. Let me know if I should keep the CC. ]
Thanks. Yes, I'm subscribed to deity- :)

> - Error reporting: currently there is no description about how the
>   solver reports error to the package manager (e.g. unsolvable
>   dependencies). It's rather easy to do, but requires consideration of
>   the possible cause of errors and how the package manager wants to
>   explain them to the user.
Some error stanzas were proposed in the thread, look fine for me.

> - Interactive solving: above I've implicitly assumed that solving is
>   always batch, which is not the case. I've a basic interaction protocol
>   that addresses this, but I would first like to agree on the batch case
>   as most of the above will be reused in the interactive case.
Skipping that before other things got agreed on...

> - Performances: I've the feeling that a big pipe of plain text can be a
>   bottleneck; we can image a binary equivalent, but first it'd be better
>   to have numbers about the actual impact of the pipe.
For this my position just as before: not a problem :)

> - Implementations status:
>   * Eugene used to have a preliminary implementation of this in CUPT,
>     then due to my delay it has not been maintained. Eugene: do you
>     think it would be easy to port the implementation to the above
>     format?
I maintained that external resolver wrapper in Cupt so it should work for the
that copy of CUDF protocol you had when I wrote my last mail in those our
thread some months ago. Can you provide a formal or informal list of changes
in CUDF so I don't need to read all two documents fully to find the protocol
changes since that time?

>   * Julian was waiting for me on a format proposal: here we go! :-)
>
> - Solution description: the above returns solution in "here is the
>   new package status" style. Julian was instead proposing something like
>   "here is a diff from the previous package status". Mine looks cleaner
>   to me, but obviously more bloated.
I disagree. In case we upgrade something like 2/3 of the system and more, the
diff approach is even bigger, even without a fact it's more complicated
without any practical gain IMO.

C++/Perl developer, Debian Developer