Re: APT manpages switch to po4a: spanish translations

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 06:34:33PM +0200, bubulle@debian.org wrote:
> Nicolas and APT developers,
>
> Spanish translations of manpages are currently kept in bzr and
> provided with APT:
> [...]
>
> As you see, files are SGML files while original files are Docbook XML
> files. The translations use a slightly different markup, from what I
> can see:
> [...]

I see two ways of reusing those translations:

 * Start from scratch a translation and manually copy paste chunks when it
   seems appropriate.

or

 1 Use po4a-gettextize with the sgml module and an old version of the
   package, when the English and Spanish manpages were still in sync
   (0.5.25)
 2 If there is a good confidence on the translation done at that time, and
   if there wer not too many issues during the gettextization,
   automaticall unfuzzy the resulting es.po
 3 merge the es.po file with the current POT file, using --previous.

> Do you think there is anything useful we could do with that material?

If there is enough confidence to perform step 2 above, then it is probably
worth doing the po4a-gettextization. Otherwise, you should first check how
msgmerge --previous behaves with a PO file full of fuzzy strings.

Best Regards,
--
Nekral