Re: Progeny apt enhancements: SSL, redirect, cookies, auth

On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 19:27, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2002, Jeff Licquia wrote:
>
> > I had planned to allow cookie support to be disabled or to make cookies
> > transient (the easiest way: point your cookie file at /dev/null).  But
>
> Hmm, thats such a specific use. The performance will be somewhat awefull,
> switching between https and http again and again will suck terribly. You
> might be able to hack together an integrated method that kept two
> connections open, but thats lots of work too.

The idea is that the redirecting will only happen for the first file you
grab.  After that, a cookie will act as a token, preventing the multiple
redirect from happening.  The first one will be slow, but it's likely to
be slow anyway if it's asking for your password interactively.  Even if
you put your password in sources.list, though, it won't be too bad.

> Overall, unless you can find some simplifications I'm not sure this is
> appropriate to be in the main line package.

OK, fair enough.  I'll send patches along just in case; if you end up
liking how we do it, feel free to use them.

> > OK.  Is this something you would be interested in for mainline apt?
>
> It's likely to be very simple so I don't mind it at all.

Great.  I'll probably send on an initial implementation soon for your
perusal.