Re: Progeny apt enhancements: SSL, redirect, cookies, auth

On 29 Jul 2002, Jeff Licquia wrote:

> I had planned to allow cookie support to be disabled or to make cookies
> transient (the easiest way: point your cookie file at /dev/null).  But

Hmm, thats such a specific use. The performance will be somewhat awefull,
switching between https and http again and again will suck terribly. You
might be able to hack together an integrated method that kept two
connections open, but thats lots of work too.

Overall, unless you can find some simplifications I'm not sure this is
appropriate to be in the main line package.

> I'll send this suggestion along, but I'm not sure it will work for what
> we're doing.

I'd think about it - it's certainly going to be much less effort to
implement.

> Does the ftp (rsh/ssh) method support interactive auth?  I didn't think
> it did, but I'd love to be wrong.

No, there is no real need to have password protected repositories in the
free software world :> The existing password scheme is really only used
for basic access control not sekrit stuff.

> OK.  Is this something you would be interested in for mainline apt?

It's likely to be very simple so I don't mind it at all.