apt-get upgrade refetching packets

Hi,

I've found some behaviour of apt-get upgrade, which might
be a bug or not, because I don't know whether this
is what you wanted it to do.

I need to use a patched version of some software.
Therefore I've downloaded the .orig.tar.gz, the
.diff.gz and the .dsc of the latest version of the
package. I've build the package exactly the normal
way (debian/rules), except that I've applied a source
code patch before. The generated package has the same
name as the original package and does very well what
I want it to do. I've installed it with dpkg -i.

Unfortunately, apt-get upgrade  insists on replacing
this package with the original package from the debian
tree, even if it has the very same version and subversion.

Is this a bug?

regards
Hadmut

(if you need additional informations:

it is the package libsane, and the patch makes it
run with the Agfa Snapscan 1212 USB.

After installing my package, the entry of the
apt-cache looks like

Package: libsane
 Version: 1.0.4-1
     File: /var/state/apt/lists/_mnt_sodom_debian_main_dists_sid_main_binary-i386_Packages
  Depends: libc6 2.1.97
  Depends: libjpeg62 (null)
  Depends: sane 1.0.4
  Depends: sane-gimp1.1 1.0.4
 Version: 1.0.4-1
     File: /var/lib/dpkg/status
  Depends: libc6 2.2.1-2
  Depends: libjpeg62 (null)
  Depends: sane 1.0.4
  Depends: sane-gimp1.1 1.0.4

after an apt-get upgrade, the original debian
package is installed and the second part is gone.