Re: gnome-apt

In foo.debian-deity, you wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sorry for the bother.
>
> As closely as possible I followed the instructions at
> http://www.debian.org/~hp/gnome-apt.html
>
> I added
> deb http://www.debian.org/~mblevin/gnome-apt ./
> to my apt/sources file, updated, downloaded and installed.
>
> gnome-apt will start and I can view the installed files, but I can't
> update:
>
> Update failed.
> The following errors may help:
> The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/ftp could not be found.
>

> I saw one other person with this note on the linux.debian.user group,
> but saw no response.
>
> I also tried compiling the source from scratch, but that too failed to
> produce the ftp object.  In fact I manually descended to the ftp
> directory and ran make, but encountered
>
> bash-2.01$ make
> Compiling parsescript.cc to ../../obj/methods/ftp/parsescript.o
> parsescript.cc:16: strutl.h: No such file or directory
> make: *** [../../obj/methods/ftp/parsescript.o] Error 1

Apt 0.3.0 does not have a working ftp method yet.
If you _have_ to use ftp, then you must downgrade apt to 0.1.10 and
uninstall gnome-apt.
If possible, just use an http url such as http://http.us.debian.org

To fix your compile problem, just change the
#include <strutl.h>

#include <apt-pkg/strutl.h>

But I don't think it works even if you get it to compile.
Others on the list may correct me on this.

-Mitch