Re: FTP support

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Mitch Blevins wrote:
>
> > > Oh, Mitch, apparently your last release had some problems.. There was a
> > > broken symlink and something else I can't remember - can you take a
> > > carefull look at the .deb and make sure it is 100%?
> >
> > The broken-symlink problem occurs in libapt-pkg-dev and is the
> > /usr/lib/libapt-pkg.so -> libapt-pkg.so.${LIBAPT_MAJOR}
>
> I don't know if the person who mentioned this to me had the -dev package
> installed. Make the -dev depend on the virtual package provided by APT and
> then things will be fine. Don't use a conflicts, too strong..

That would not help.  The problem was with people who did _not_ upgrade
their libapt-pkg-dev package, which still had the old link.  Nothing I
can do to the new (> 0.3.1) libapt-pkg-dev will help them.
Adding the Depends: for the libapt-pkg${LIBAPT_MAJOR} to libapt-pkg-dev
will work for everybody upgrading from 0.3.2 -> 0.x.x (where x.x > 3.2),
but we would still need a Conflicts for apt <= 0.3.1.
Still think Conflicts: is not the solution?

> > The "something else" I think is my failure to warn load enough that the
> > ftp method was not included.  Shouldn't be a problem now. :-)
>
> I remember now, apt-get --version from your debs returned the wrong
> version string. I noticed you updated the config.in file but you didn't
> rebuild config.h. After you change config.in you should either rm -rf
> build or run 'make startup' to refresh the generated output.

I see.  Thanks.

-Mitch