Re: Gnome-apt hmm

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Well it does seem to work but I think we are going to spend a long time
> tweaking the GUI and rounding things off :>
>
> Anyhow, I think I'll just let Wichert go over it with you and then make
> some comments later on when it is more to both of your likings. Judging
> by the look of things I am thinking a good direction to head in would be
> to make this as usable and nice as possible and just ignore any
> substantial feature that you have not yet implemented (such as source list
> setup and the like) those a really a minor part of the app.
>
> Hopefully there will not be too large a flood of concerns :>

Hmm.  What is this about connecting to some server at a high(35091) port?

Also(and this is towards Jason mostly), there NEEDS to be a way to show what
new packages are available since the last time gnome-apt was run, aka dselect
like.  This is a much used feature.  I usually only go into dselect nowadays
to see what new pkgs are available.  Maybe gnome-apt could make a copy of the
binary database each time it is run, and compare it between invocations.

Doubling clicking on a + to open a folder?  That is not how it is in other
progs.  Double-clicking on a folder, is fine.  But it should only require a
single click on a +.  Also, the double-click speed is difficult to master.

Some vertical divider lines in the package list would be nice.

The default view-group-alphabetical has to change.  It sucks.  I had no idea
what the tree list was showing me at first.

You can do package-details, and bring up a separate window, but the same info
is still in the main window.  Confusing.

If the details window is detachable, so should the package list window.

The text wrap for descriptions should NOT break apart words.  When I selected
econfigedit, it wrapped at mod ule.

In the details window, Related, Special, and Other are blank.  Is this
intended?

You have the columns DKI, yet the right-click menu calls them Install/Upgrade,
Remove, Keep, in that order.

What is the point of import and export package list?  Is this for packages.gz?
If so, that should be called update list of packages, which then calls apt-get
update.

If File-sources, it has the drop-down menu for stable/unstable before the
server menu.  This doesn't coincide with the way the uri is formed.  It would
be nice if gnome-apt could fetch www.debian.org/~jgg/Mirrors(this needs to be
out of Jason's home dir, btw), and parse that into options that could be
selected from the menus.  And as always, allow for non-listed entries.  Why is
so much space given to the section in the scroll window?  The distribution and
section are the smallest parts, yet the section is given the bulk of the
width.

In Preferences, column-order, there is no way to turn off a particular column.

To the left of the file menu, on the menu bar, is a slim vertical block that
does nothing but waste space.

> Waiting for someone to notice it uses 4 meg of libraries

Muwahaha.  I have 256m, and hardly use x, so this isn't a problem, for me.
But 4 megs is WAY to much.

Adam