Re: Gnome-apt hmm

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Well it does seem to work but I think we are going to spend a long time
> tweaking the GUI and rounding things off :>

:-) No doubt. I'm happy that it works. I was afraid it worked only for me
and would eat flaming death as soon as it got on someone else's machine.

The code is easy to play with if you have some moderate Gtk familiarity;
the exceptions are pkgtree.cc and drawtree.cc, those files have gotten out
of control and are embarassing.

I suspect though that many of the things bothering you are in Gtk or
Gnome... the only thing I'm drawing manually is the package tree.

> Anyhow, I think I'll just let Wichert go over it with you and then make
> some comments later on when it is more to both of your likings. Judging
> by the look of things I am thinking a good direction to head in would be
> to make this as usable and nice as possible and just ignore any
> substantial feature that you have not yet implemented (such as source list
> setup and the like) those a really a minor part of the app.

I'd place some importance on the source list setup because it is the only
thing remaining that requires bailing out to text mode; we are fully GUI
except for that. Not that sources.list is complicated to edit, but
nonetheless.

Otherwise I'd like to see the Details window slash info pane slash GDeb
made a lot nicer; could be tweaked ad infinitum. There are lots of
Preferences that could exist that don't; clearly the column order
interface is crap; there should be more columns: Auto, package size, at
least; should be sort/filter for those new columns; Section filter is
still missing; no online HTML help; no selection of candidate version;
Search needs to be expanded quite a bit; etc.

I'm going to be very busy with paid work over the next few months, and I
won't be able to add all this very quickly. So I'm hoping there will be
interest in hacking it.

> Hopefully there will not be too large a flood of concerns :>

Fingers crossed...

> Waiting for someone to notice it uses 4 meg of libraries

On the other hand, I could write it in a pretty short time and I think
it's a lot nicer than your average Xlib app. Plus if you're running a
couple of other apps also using those libs it all washes out. And Linux is
smart about what it takes off the disk.

(real reason: I have 190 megs of SDRAM - muhahaha :P)

Havoc