Re: Apt UI design

I just realized I've been doing the cc thing on Debian lists... habit dies
hard. :-) Go ahead and cc me though, I am not sure I'm on this list yet.

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Ew. I have a total loathing for automake and libtool, extremely evil
> programs. I finally managed to purge them from my code and am -much-
> happier. I also know the gnome people use libtool and automake alot, I
> personally think they are insane, but hey ;>

Tom Tromey (automake maintainer) was one of the earliest Gnome developers,
so that explains much. It works fairly well most of the time. I'll leave
it to save time, since I already have it working, and if anyone gets
inspired they can transition to the improved build.

> Yeah pretty much. I bounced you a longish email I sent to Tom right before
> he vanished, maybe it scared him off? :> You will need to compile your
> code as C++ but you don't have to use or know very much C++.

I'm using a minimalist C++ plus plain C Gtk+/Gnome (i.e. not the C++
bindings - they are unstable for now and add some overhead).

> I hope you are using the new apt module in deity cvs, and saw this email:

I poked around on va and figured it out...

> You'll need g++ and libstdc++2.9. To make use of the library from your
> program you'll want to include -L .../apt/build/lib and -I
> .../apt/build/include and use -lapt-pkg. You will have to set
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

No problem for development, but I noticed there's no make install or make
dist. Is production code always statically linked? How does this work?

> I would put it in a seperate module in the APT cvs, putting it in the
> gnome cvs means that I can't write to it which is bad :>

Okie. (It would be no problem to get you a gnome cvs account, but I can
see the virtue of keeping it together with the rest of Apt.)

The one issue here is the 'macros' directory with all the Gnome .m4 files;
this is shared between all the Gnome modules and included in each.
We will have to be careful not to make local changes to it without
propagating them upstream, and keep our copy in sync.

> I'll send you a
> passwd tomorrow sometime.

Cool. My PGP key is on the keyring if you need it.

> Their are bits of code floating around that do pretty much everything you
> need to do, let me know if you think something is really harder than it
> should be, not obvios, needs explaining or simply you don't know how to
> do. The longish email should give you a really good start I hope.

Excellent.

Havoc