Re: gdselect alpha 3 [libapt]

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Recomended Implementation
>  The best way to make use of the library in a GUI is with an owner draw
>  tree widget. In most GUI implementations this means you pass an object
>  handle and a draw function to the tree. To get the best use out of the
>  library you would pass the package pointer to the tree and a draw
>  function that gets it's information directly from the cache. This does
>  two things,
>    1) Assures minimal memory usage by not duplicating strings
>    2) Assures the tree is always perfectly in sync with the state of the
>       package in the fastest manner possible

Urgh, this is not going to work in Gtk+ unless we write a fairly complex
custom widget. I think we'll just have to eat the overhead for now, unless
it turns out to be really bad, and if it ever bothers someone a lot they
can write the custom widget.

>  There is also a built in configuration and command-line handling
>  mechanism represented by the Configuration class. A global instance
>  for global configuration is called _config. It stored directory things
>  and others in a heigharchical key/value database. The command line parser
>  takes command line arguments and sets the proper database entry allowing
>  a uniform and simple configuration mechanism.

This is going to fight over argc/argv with the Gtk/Gnome arg parser, that
is an issue to resolve. Any chance your class removes the args it
understands and ignores the others?

Thanks for the info, my first goal will be to get the package list on the
screen, since everything else operates on it.

Havoc