Re: Apt UI design

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> So I hacked on this some tonight and it is pretty fun stuff. I have the
> build in place; I copied the Gnome build rather than the Apt build, in
> order to use all the Gnome .m4 stuff (but mostly because I understand how

Ew. I have a total loathing for automake and libtool, extremely evil
programs. I finally managed to purge them from my code and am -much-
happier. I also know the gnome people use libtool and automake alot, I
personally think they are insane, but hey ;>

The make system in the apt tree is basically a 4th generation attempt at
simplifing make files, if you read READE.make it explains alot of what
happens and why, of course the make files have lots of comments detailing
what is going on.

This time I think I have managed to hit on something really good, I'd love
to document and package it somehow someday...

> I had a look at the stuff in Apt CVS and it looks like very nice code and
> quite straightforward. I built it with no problem. Looks like everything I
> need is already in libapt-pkg, no? Is there any code lying around
> elsewhere which might be useful?

Yeah pretty much. I bounced you a longish email I sent to Tom right before
he vanished, maybe it scared him off? :> You will need to compile your
code as C++ but you don't have to use or know very much C++.

I hope you are using the new apt module in deity cvs, and saw this email:

---
The library source and such forth is in CVS as usual. There is a new
forked development tree called 'apt' which is distinct and very different
from the current release. To get it do something like

export CVSROOT=":pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/deity"
cvs login
cvs co apt
cd apt
make startup
make

You'll need g++ and libstdc++2.9. To make use of the library from your
program you'll want to include -L .../apt/build/lib and -I
.../apt/build/include and use -lapt-pkg. You will have to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
---

> I'm thinking I will check this in to Gnome CVS, unless you really want to
> integrate it into the Apt source tree (it would probably make a big old
> mess, due to all the Gnome dependencies).

I would put it in a seperate module in the APT cvs, putting it in the
gnome cvs means that I can't write to it which is bad :> I'll send you a
passwd tomorrow sometime.

Their are bits of code floating around that do pretty much everything you
need to do, let me know if you think something is really harder than it
should be, not obvios, needs explaining or simply you don't know how to
do. The longish email should give you a really good start I hope.