Re: gdselect alpha 3 [libapt]

Previously Havoc Pennington wrote:
> The worry I have is screen real estate; the tree view is unavoidably big,
> even if I shrink it a lot (right now it is gratuitously big).

That's why I introduced filters and multiple sort keys: they are the only
way to make things manageable.

> I do like those web pages. An unrelated concern: How can we get a
> description of each section in Apt? Is it already there somehow?

No, you'll have to add it manually.

> Hmm. Whenever possible, I would prefer to have the actions and the view
> merged.

Very much agreed.

> The only actions other than install would be to view the package's
> scripts, list of files in the package, etc. - right?

Yes. Remember that some of these are only available of the package is
already downloaded or installed (filelist for example).

> I think there are two disadvantages to the notebook: one, the tabs take up
> a lot of space; two, you can't see all the info at once.

The first issue is also related to window size. If you only use an X interface
you can safely assume at least 800x600 screensize and possible windowsize
these days IMHO.

> The key issue is whether all the info can fit on the screen without a
> notebook. If it can, that's better. If it can't, a notebook is a nice
> solution. I don't know how this will play out.

I guess you'll have to play around for that. For an X interface I'ld be
really happy if the infopanes could be seperate top-level windows though.
I originally added that to the design, but removed it since a console
interface can't support it and we could always add it at a later stafe.

> Perhaps so. We can consider moving all this stuff to the menu bar instead,
> and have the popup be a simple clone of the menu bar for those too lazy to
> move the mouse. The current popup/menubar distinction doesn't make too
> much sense anyway.

I think the UI design I made put all commands from the popup also in the
menu or filter-bar. Did I miss something? The popup should indeed only be
used as a shortcut mechanism.

> Something to keep in mind: the "unifying theme" of this interface is the
> notion of the "currently selected package." The current package will be
> highlighted in the tree view, its info will be displayed next to the tree,
> and package-related menu items (in the "package" menu) will operate on the
> current package. I think the menus in Wichert's document may need
> rearranging with this in mind.

How so? I think they are already single-package related right now (don't
have the text at hand though). We might actually want to be able to
select multiple packages and define how that affects the panes though.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl