Re: gdselect alpha 3 [libapt]

On Nov 25, Havoc Pennington decided to present us with:

> Well for the most part gnome-apt doesn't need the buttons you have, just
> the information.

That's why I included a switch to omit the "Install it!" button
:-) OTOH, I don't see why you would want to lose the other
buttons. Even if you already have options elsewhere to inspect
control files or view contents, I still think gdeb is a good
place to have these. But I don't know, let's wait for these
screenshots and see how you're doing things.

> So putting it in a text widget (highlighting and formatting as
> appropriate so the different fields are labelled and distinct)
> seems reasonable to me.

Yes, we know what the fields mean... but for average users that
would be intimidating IMHO. As I said before, compare "dpkg -s"
with the stuff in http://www.debian.org/Packages/

> Essentially the gnome-apt version was/is planned to be
> noninteractive, since all those interactive features are
> already provided elsewhere. (I assume you've seen Wichert's
> document describing the proposed interface.)

I can't find it. I have read it when it was written some
millenia ago, but I don't remember many of it. And I'm sure I
have a copy somewhere, but... :-) [any URL around?]

> Looks nice. For gnome-apt, we would need to lose the notebook
> and the title stuff above it. We want to have two widgets, one
> with the package description only and one with all the other
> information (IIRC, I am not looking at the design doc).
> gnome-apt places each widget in a paned window and
> configurably displays one or both or neither.

Again, I would have to see your screenshots and/or re-read the
doc, but I think this is a mistake. I mean, it was a good idea
when it was written, but we didn't have gtk back then ;-) Right
now, seeing my work and what I heard from yours, I _think_ the
best-looking sollution would be:

/----------------------+-----------------\
|                      |                 |
|    your  package     |                 |
|     tree widget      |      gdeb       |
|                      |                 |
|                      +-----------------+
|                      |    a box with   |
|                      | buttons for the |
|                      |     actions     |
\----------------------+------------------/

Try to "mindshot" this, I'll believe you'll like it.

The notebook is (again IMHO) a better sollution than the paned
window and the option of configuring some of the info out.
Basically, it displays the stuff the user wants to know by
default [description, priority, section, and of course the sizes
whch are very important for most people ;-)] and you have to use
the notebook tabs to see more.

> There are a lot of specifics that would probably need to
> change for gnome-apt. In particular, rather than an "Install"
> button, IMO the status display should have three buttons
> (Delete,Keep,Install) which parallel the ones in the tree
> view. Since we'd need to indicate this status anyway, it may
> as well be interactive.

Hmm. I'm getting now; you're thinking of "modes", and I'm
thinking of a single window with everything?

> However the buttons to view all the scripts and package
> contents should be moved to gnome-apt's popup menu, which
> already has a lot of operations on the currently selected
> package.

UI-wise, I firmly disagree. Popups are convenient but
counter-intuitive. They're nice to have, but should never be the
only way of doing something.

> gnome-apt also already has the Relationships in the tree view, so
> these should be downplayed in the Information pane.

Again I think that hidind it in the second page of the bookmark
is a good solution, but we can get rid of it easily if most
people want it gone. However, I would think that the tree view
would display depends, recommends and suggests, while the
package view would display all relationships.

> Let me think about how this should all work, I'm not totally sure yet. :-)

Sure, neither am I, let's talk a lot, flood the list and find
the most intuitive way of doing it all :-)

[]s,
                                               +----
--
     And the sign said the words of the prophets
 are written on the subway walls and tenement halls