Re: gdselect alpha 3 [libapt]

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> That's why I introduced filters and multiple sort keys: they are the only
> way to make things manageable.

Definitely. I still haven't implemented filters, but the sort is helpful
even now (especially since it's a stable sort).

> Yes. Remember that some of these are only available of the package is
> already downloaded or installed (filelist for example).

This is the kind of thing I just don't know. apt-get checks for a bunch of
situations I would never know to check for. So I think someone is going to
have to clean up after me once all the GUI is in place. :-)

> The first issue is also related to window size. If you only use an X interface
> you can safely assume at least 800x600 screensize and possible windowsize
> these days IMHO.

The sticking point seems to be laptops, based on gnome-list posts
complaining about screen usage. However, with scrollbars and geometry done
right the UI will probably be possible to use on 320x200, though only two
packages at a time might be visible in the tree.

> I guess you'll have to play around for that. For an X interface I'ld be
> really happy if the infopanes could be seperate top-level windows though.
> I originally added that to the design, but removed it since a console
> interface can't support it and we could always add it at a later stafe.

Top-level windows shouldn't be a problem, since I already have to make the
infopanes removable. In Gtk this is just a matter of
gtk_container_remove(main_window, infopanes);
gtk_container_add   (second_window, infopanes);

> > Perhaps so. We can consider moving all this stuff to the menu bar instead,
> > and have the popup be a simple clone of the menu bar for those too lazy to
> > move the mouse. The current popup/menubar distinction doesn't make too
> > much sense anyway.
>
> I think the UI design I made put all commands from the popup also in the
> menu or filter-bar. Did I miss something? The popup should indeed only be
> used as a shortcut mechanism.

Yep, all the "view" settings (which columns to show, sort, etc.) are only
on the popup. We can always play with the menus later, it's not a big
deal.

> How so? I think they are already single-package related right now (don't
> have the text at hand though).

I don't remember what I was thinking when I wrote that. It looks fine to
me now. :-)

> We might actually want to be able to
> select multiple packages and define how that affects the panes though.

This sounds like something for version 2.0, it's kind of complicated.

Havoc