Re: gdselect alpha 3 [libapt]

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Lalo Martins wrote:

> I disagree. I've been doing my homework yesterday and yes, ORBit
> would be a lot of overkill. But a custom GTK widget sounds like
> the way to go. Just dumping the headers data to a text widget
> would seriously hurt user-friendliness which is one of the
> reasons to get rid of dselect, right?

Well for the most part gnome-apt doesn't need the buttons you have, just
the information. So putting it in a text widget (highlighting and
formatting as appropriate so the different fields are labelled and
distinct) seems reasonable to me. Using labels as you do is fine too
though, and if someone else is writing it I'm happy to have that.
Essentially the gnome-apt version was/is planned to be noninteractive,
since all those interactive features are already provided elsewhere. (I
assume you've seen Wichert's document describing the proposed interface.)

> I made a prototype with glade today, there are screenshots and
> code at http://master.debian.org/~lalo/gdeb

Looks nice. For gnome-apt, we would need to lose the notebook and the
title stuff above it. We want to have two widgets, one with the package
description only and one with all the other information (IIRC, I am not
looking at the design doc). gnome-apt places each widget in a paned window
and configurably displays one or both or neither.

There are a lot of specifics that would probably need to change for
gnome-apt. In particular, rather than an "Install" button, IMO the status
display should have three buttons (Delete,Keep,Install) which parallel the
ones in the tree view. Since we'd need to indicate this status anyway, it
may as well be interactive. However the buttons to view all the scripts
and package contents should be moved to gnome-apt's popup menu, which
already has a lot of operations on the currently selected package.

Anyway since gnome-apt uses the popup menu, I'm not sure you could reuse
the same code in a standalone gdeb program, though possibly you could.

When I get home later tonight I'll try to make a gnome-apt screenshot, so
you can see what's going on with that.

gnome-apt also already has the Relationships in the tree view, so
these should be downplayed in the Information pane.

Let me think about how this should all work, I'm not totally sure yet. :-)

Havoc