exit satus on -s runs

hey there,
	I was just wondering if you could answer a quick question for
	me and maybe fix the problem :)
	whenever I run apt-get with the -s option to do a test run on
	an upgrade or install or update the darn thing errors on exit,
	by errors I mean it returns a non-zero value to the shell.
	why? This is really starting to get to me as I use it in a
	script to generate a file I can use, but the script stops at
	the end of the command as the scripting language terminates
	when a subproccess errors.
Nikolai