Re: multiple machines sharing apt spool?

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Mark Eichin wrote:

> I currently have 3, sometimes as many as 5, debian x86 machines on my
> home net, behind a 28.8 connection.  Currently, I run a mirror of
> sources/ and binary-i386/, and sync manually off of that.  I'm
> starting to use apt, and so far it mostly works to point sources.list
> at the local mirror alone, or the local mirror plus some outside
> sites.

I do this at work, I have about 4 machines running debian. What I choose
to do is to NFS share (with root write permissions) /var/cache/apt and
mount that on all of the machines. When APT runs on one machine it will
write the package there and then the others will pick it up and download
the ones they need, etc.

Squid is used to cache the Packages.gz from the mirrors. I'm not entirely
sure how to make this better but I am -really- interested in making it
work nicer!