HTTP proxies and apt

Hi there.

I have always used (well, since 0.0.6 or so) apt on my i386 machines.
However, my connectivity has generally been good, and free.  I am now
installing two sparcs at home, over a 33.6 modem.  Since apt is not in
slink for sparc, I wasn't using apt - so I set them up with dpkg-http.
dpkg-http has explicit proxying support, and since I run squid on my
dial-out machine, this saved me quite a lot of time.

On being told by one of the debian-sparc guys that I could get apt from
project/eperimental compiled for sparc, I was about to switch back to apt.
However, I find that apt only supports http_proxy, as far as I can see, if
you set up an environment variable called http_proxy.

It's not very pretty to clutter root's environment in that way (it also
breaks the rule about environment variables being all uppercase).  Was
this a design decision?  Why not put proxy information in a conf file?
/etc/apt/proxy.conf, perhaps?

This is 0.0.17 - apologies if it has been changed in 0.1

Jules