Re: Failed upgrade bo->hamm with apt

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> writes:

> On Thu, 21 May 1998, Brandon Mitchell wrote:
>
> > PROBLEMS:
> > 	It wasn't pretty, here's a cut and paste:
> > dpkg: libreadline2: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you
> > request:
> >  bash depends on libreadline2 (>= 2.1); however:
> >   Package libreadline2 is to be removed.
> >  gnuplot depends on libreadline2 (>= 2.1).
> >  gdb depends on libreadline2 (>= 2.1).
> >  netstd depends on libreadline2 (>= 2.1).
> >  libreadline2-dev depends on libreadline2 (= 2.1-2).
> > (Reading database ... 14338 files and directories currently installed.)
> > Removing libreadline2 ...
> > (Reading database ... 14331 files and directories currently installed.)
> > Unpacking libreadlineg2 (from libreadlineg2_2.1-9.deb) ...
>
> Well, this isn't pretty. You didn't say what installation method you used,
> but it sounds like dselect-upgrade. What happened is this,
>
> dselect marked libreadline for removal (this is what caused the failure)
> to remove libreadline we have to install a new bash
> to install a new bash we have to install libreadlineg
> to install libreadlineg we need to remove libreadline

Last is wrong: To install libreadlineg we need to update libreadline.

libreadlineg2 conflicts with older versions of libreadline2:
Conflicts: libreadline2 (<< 2.1-2.1)

The libreadline2 in oldlibs is >= 2.1-2.1, so it doesn't conflict with
libreadlineg2.

With dpkg it might be impossible to update a package and keep it
marked for removal. Hence dselect should see that a newer version of
libreadline2 is to be installed that doesn't conflict.

> I would almost suggest that unless there is a critical reason why
> libreadlineg conflicts with libreadline that conflicts line be removed so
> it can order properly in the case of bash being removed.

The coexistence of libreadline2 and libreadlineg2 needed some changes
in libreadline2. That's why libreadlineg2 conflicts wirh older
versions of libreadline2.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>