Re: Failed upgrade bo->hamm with apt

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Thu, 21 May 1998, Brandon Mitchell wrote:
>
> > PROBLEMS:
  [ libreadline2 gets uninstalled before bash is upgraded ]

> Well, this isn't pretty. You didn't say what installation method you used,
> but it sounds like dselect-upgrade. What happened is this,

Yes, I used the apt method (bo version) within dselect to do an upgrade.
I hadn't read the docs at that point, so I didn't know about apt-get (I
should try that next).

> dselect marked libreadline for removal (this is what caused the failure)
> to remove libreadline we have to install a new bash
> to install a new bash we have to install libreadlineg
> to install libreadlineg we need to remove libreadline
> [ This is the same twisted logic as is applied to the perl/perl-base
>   situation and many others like it ]
>
> And that is exactly what it did. You MUST NOT select libreadline for
> removal, I'm not sure what I can do to make this safer - something should
> be done but nothing is presenting itself to me. One thing would be that it
> would been nice if it installed bash directly after libreadlineg - but
> that would not have saved the system since libreadlineg's install
> segfaulted.

Note, dselect decided it would be best to remove libreadline for me.  So
once I get things like I want it, go back into the select section and
force the install of libreadline2, and probably exit with Q since dselect
won't like me at that point.  I hope apt is up to that kind of challenge.

> The normal sequence of events is this,
>
> install libreadline
> install libreadling
> install bash
>
> I would almost suggest that unless there is a critical reason why
> libreadlineg conflicts with libreadline that conflicts line be removed so
> it can order properly in the case of bash being removed.

If dselect didn't want to remove libreadline2, I think everything would be
ok.  Apt wasn't able to order things properly even though dselect found a
good configuration.  Perhaps apt should stop at this point instead of
forcing some removes, or at least ask for user permission to force.

> In light of this I recommend that everyone install bash first before
> attempting to upgrade any more, or use dist-upgrade which usually won't
> remove libreadline.

I was hoping apt would eliminate the need to use autoup.sh.  Looking at
apt-get, it just might.

> Also, in future, please save a copy of your /var/lib/dpkg/status file
> before doing an upgrade - if something goes wrong in APT I can duplicate
> it here with the information in that file.

I sent a copy of my status from yesterday in a separate message.

Brandon

P.S. If I get apt-get working tomorrow, I'll consider hamm able to be
beta.

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 596-5550                      --Linus Torvalds