Re: ftp method

On 9 May 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Jason" == Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> writes:
>
> Jason> It prints 'I Connecting to llug' twice, if it doesn't actually
> Jason> reconnect it shouldn't print this, and if it does actually
> Jason> reconnect then it shouldn't :> Similarly it should not reset
> Jason> the type to binary if it isn't reconnecting.
>
> 	It does, at the moment, reconnect. I treats each pair as a
>  separate entity -- it does no optimization at all. How exactly is the
>  method going to be called? I found no documentation about this. I did
>  not know whether it would be called with multiple sets at all (in
>  which case it would make sense to optimize it a bit. But then should
>  not the ftp method also open multiple connections?

It will be called with multiple sets, the sets will be pre-sorted for
you. The method should not open multiple connections, if that is needed
then it is simpler to fork multiple methods. All it needs to do is to
optimize it's connection to the host for the case of multiple files.

> 	I had both, I took them out as they take very short
>  times. They are back in again.

Well, only if you have a close server.

> Jason> Remeber, it must -never- resume a file that is in ../ , it
> Jason> doesn't actually resume, but it seems to claim to. Files in ../
> Jason> are provided only for date comparision to see if it should be
> Jason> fetched at all.
>
> 	This was not clear. So what does one do? test a file in the
>  ../ dir, and what happens if the size does not match? I reget the
>  whole thing?

It checks only the date of the file in ../ to determine if it has changed
on the server. The size is never checked beacuse of decompression.