Re: premature aborts?

Hi,
>>"Jason" == Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> writes:

>> Also, does apt check secondary archives (I do not have any, at the
>> moment, but I shall rectify that)?

Jason> No, it checks only the first archived mentioned to have the
Jason> file. Is there a reason to support secondary archives?

	Well, only in case the file could not be found or failed in
 some other fashion (I sometimes get timemouts on some sites
 intermittently -- I maen on some days they are good, on others they
 are down).

	Also, right now llug seems to be particularily bad --
__> find /var/spool/mirror/debian/ -name .in.\*
/var/spool/mirror/debian/hamm/hamm/binary-all/doc/.in.lg-issue11_2-3.deb.
/var/spool/mirror/debian/hamm/hamm/binary-all/doc/.in.lg-issue01to08_2-3.deb.
/var/spool/mirror/debian/hamm/non-free/binary-i386/games/.in.doom_1.10-16.deb.

	The mirror fails on these files always at this point saying
 I/O error -- and henve my local mirror is not in sync with the
 Packages file, which mention these files.

	In favour of general fault tolerance, maybe we should have a
 final check when the packages are supposed to be on the local disk;
 make sure the packages exist (stat), make sure the md5sum matches,
 and then do the ordering step then.

	This would fail if we stream download/unpack to minimize space
 needed (and do not care about interactive time -- doewnloads are
 interspersed with unpacks), but that is not how apt is implemented at
 the time.

	So, a final check of packages followed by a weeding out and
 reordering process before unpacking would mean we upgraded the
 maximal number of packages without falling over on our faces ;-)

	In that case, we should only delete packages that actually
 succeeded, maybe?

	manoj
--
 FIELD TESTED: manufacturer lacks test equipment.