Re: Some new GUI stuff for deity

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Behan: You should look at it to be sure you like how the status and
> description looks. Unfortunately everyone who as seen it immediately said
> it looks cluttered so perhaps we need to do something?

Yes, it does rather. 8(  I've been trying to figure out what to
change...

One thing is that (like in my document) you should be turning off the
"Current-version" column by default.  That was supposed to be only
turned on if the user wanted it.  The icon next to the "Inst-version"
was supposed to tell you if it is an upgrade/downgrade/whatever.  The
current version should be available through the "info" tabbed window by
default.  I think the user will care less about what the current version
is, and more about what version they are going to. (Certainly that is
what my informal testing seemed to indicate).

As far as all the controls on the left, I'm not sure.

The tree controls are good (with an icon identifying what each entry
is), but the three columns to the left sure add to the clutter.
Originally (way back) I was trying to fit those three columns into one
or two controls instead of three, but 2 controls was confusing to the
people I tested it on, and one control meant coming up with a new
tri-state widget (one that may not be possible for a cgi interface,
unless we use lots of javascript or something).

Ideas everyone?

> aph has suggested changing 'Inst-Version' to read 'New-Version' which
> seems to fit better..

The problem is that it isn't necessarily a "new version".  It could be
an old version.  The "Inst-version" is supposed to go along with the
"Inst" radio or check box (the problem beingthat instead of Inst, it is
labeled "I").

"New-Version" was what I originally called it, until I found that it
confused people in my informal testing group (because it isn't always a
"new version").

Later,

Behan

--