Re: Some new GUI stuff for deity

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Behan Webster wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> >
> > Behan: You should look at it to be sure you like how the status and
> > description looks. Unfortunately everyone who as seen it immediately said
> > it looks cluttered so perhaps we need to do something?
>
> Yes, it does rather. 8(  I've been trying to figure out what to
> change...
>
> One thing is that (like in my document) you should be turning off the
> "Current-version" column by default.  That was supposed to be only
> turned on if the user wanted it.  The icon next to the "Inst-version"
> was supposed to tell you if it is an upgrade/downgrade/whatever.  The
> current version should be available through the "info" tabbed window by
> default.  I think the user will care less about what the current version
> is, and more about what version they are going to. (Certainly that is
> what my informal testing seemed to indicate).

I have just been leaving it on because it is very usefull for debugging,
there is a toggle in one of the menus that can flip it on/off. There, it's
off by default.

> Ideas everyone?

All I can think is to replace them with a single icon - but then you have
to memorize what the icons mean and it doesn't help in text mode, so I
don't know.

I can think of some odd things involving the cur-version and inst-version
columns, like drawing selected one in red, if neigther are red then it is
a removal - but that's really hard to intune to click on the version
text..

> > aph has suggested changing 'Inst-Version' to read 'New-Version' which
> > seems to fit better..
>
> The problem is that it isn't necessarily a "new version".  It could be
> an old version.  The "Inst-version" is supposed to go along with the
> "Inst" radio or check box (the problem beingthat instead of Inst, it is
> labeled "I").

Well, in this case it will be the newly installed version, and in 90% of
the cases it -WILL- be a new version - The cases it isn't there will be a
down arrow drawn. I'm not sure why we draw an up arrow, if the version is
the same it is not shown and if it is a downgrade then a down arrow is
shown..

Maybe we should loose the package icon, could that reduce clutter? (It's
such a nice looking icon though)