Re: Volunteer software efforts ...

Hi,
>>"Richard" == Richard G Roberto <robertor@typhoon.co.jp> writes:

Richard> Some points have been made on this that strike me as
Richard> contradictory to debian's other stated objectives.  I think
Richard> lofty goals like "world domination"

	You seem to have confused microsoft with the fre software
 community. Miscrosoft is trying for world domination; the free
 software community is trying to promote freedom of software.

	You do not get freedom by dominating anything.

Richard> aren't achieveable with messages like "please use our
Richard> software to run your business and sustain your livelihood,
Richard> but don't have any expectations whatsoever and don't think
Richard> you're entitled to depend on it for anything".

	No, the message is here, folks, is liberated software, and it
 has the greatest support in the world: and the price is politeness.

	Yuo can get help faster than IBM or digital or microsoft give
 you-- but remember, the people helping you are volunteers, and it
 does not cost you a cent --- and you get a lot farhter with honey
 than you do with a stick

	Since they are volunteers, yu can't demand things -- common
 coutesy is asll that is asked, and nothing more.

Richard> That is childish and that's what will keep free software on
Richard> the back burner.

	Childish. Umm. Err, yes. I shall withold comment on this.

Richard> Whatever small gains the netscape thing brings will be short
Richard> lived for this reason. Any relationship is a two way street
Richard> -- even if you pretend its not.

	I guess I do not really care to spend my time with people who
 are rude and obnoxious. Unless they pay me. My rates are high.

	The key elements are community, cooperation, and
 and synergy. We are genrally nice, freindly folks. Unless provoked.

Richard> As things settle down (probably not until June) I plan on
Richard> reactivating my account on master and re-entering superior
Richard> martyrdom by picking up the maintenance on somebody else's
Richard> upstream software.  Then I too can unblock my nose at the
Richard> unwary user and fart in their general direction.

	You just don't get it, do you? I am not sure an attitude like
 that is beneficial to the project. Why don't you go help, umm,
 microsoft?

	manoj
--
 "Ho!  Ha-ha!  Guard!  Turn!  Parry!  Dodge!  Spin!  Ha!  Thrust!"
 --D. Duck