Re: dpkg-get and closed door development ...

Hi,
>>"Buddha" == Buddha Buck <bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu> writes:

Buddha> I wonder, should I keep an eye on the maintainer of packages I
Buddha> use, so I don't accidentally file a bug report against
Buddha> kernel-package, or any other package maintained by Manoj?
Buddha> After all, I would just be an ungrateful user, not a
Buddha> developer, and should have no voice in how Debian is developed
Buddha> an maintained.  At least, not until my name appears in the
Buddha> Holy Keyring and bug reports start getting sent to me.

	Defintely, so, if you are going to be extremly rude and
 insulting about it. Had the person said, "hey, guys, I saw the
 output, and surely you are not planning to ship it like that?" There
 would have been no objections. (Bruce had seen the output, and
 interjected an objection politely a few days ago).

	If you plan on coming in and sayin "the developer is not able
 to make rational decisions about "their" tool" and stating they have
 no right on their work since "I thought it was "debian' tool", then
 yes, please keep shut. Or go to NT. This is not a comment. This is nt
 a request. This is an attack.

	That applies to developers too. Any rude, obnoxious developer
 shall also be kill filed. This is supposed to be a cooperative
 community; when that starts breaking down, it is the beginning of the
 end. So far, with the exception of temporary aberrations, we have
 been a non abusive coperative bunch. When that changes, it is going
 to be the end of the project.

	I do indeed code for fun; mostly for me, and people who are
 friends and who are cooperative and non-abusive. You have only the
 rights spelled out in the copyright, and what I choose to give
 you. Or else, I have hourly rates, and I shall be glad to send you an
 invoice.

Buddha> You and Guy are now both saying that you don't develop
Buddha> packages for the users, you develop for yourself.  That's not
Buddha> entirely true.  If you developed purely for yourself,
Buddha> kernel-package would have been a tool that sits on your
Buddha> hard-drive, and no one elses.  Instead, you decided to release
Buddha> it to users, let them pound on it, and have, in the past,
Buddha> graciously responded to users requests and bug reports
Buddha> (including mine).

	Yes. I still respond to reports that do not abuse me. I
 respond well to requests, and politeness, and farly ill to rudeness,
 and demands, and I respond fairly virulently when told The others
 have the right to my work, and that though I do all the work, I am
 incapable of making rational decisions, and that they shall tell me
 what to do since they are the supreme deity "THE BLOODY USER". No
 body tells that to me and gets away with it.

Buddha> And while it may be true that your packages are written for
Buddha> you, I thought that Deity was being written for users.

	Are the users paying for Deity? If not, it is still written in
 a volunteer effort for FUN. Nobody has the right to be abusive and
 demand things.

Buddha> What really gets to me is the stirrings of hypocricy I'm
Buddha> seeing. While Bruce is out claiming open source software is
Buddha> good, while the developers have stood behind the DSFG, and
Buddha> everyone is publically endorsing the "Cathedral and Bazarre"
Buddha> article by Eric Raymond, behind the scenes we have prominant,
Buddha> well-respected developers threatening to abandon the bazarre
Buddha> and head into the cathedral.

	I am not abandoning the Bazaar style. I am abondaning clueless
 luser who think they have the right to abuse me and tell me what to
 do. I still coperate with reasonable people who still realize that my
 work for Debian is done in a spirit of cooperation.

	If you cannot tell the difference, then you do not undersstand
 the free software community.

Buddha> Although I don't apparantly have the right to comment, I don't
Buddha> think Deity is a bad name.

	You have a right to comment. You do not have a right to
 abuse. I do not generally comment on Deity's new name.

>> ps: not that I have contributed much to deity; but I do contribute
>> to Debian.

Buddha> Then by your own logic, you should have as much say in Deity
Buddha> as I have in kernel-package.

	Correct, though that does not mean what you think it means. I
 have made only one statement about Deities name, and my other
 messages about deity have been technical.

Buddha> I've not heard what Jason's views on the name issue are.

	You think he's happy about being harangued, then?

	manoj
 who dislikes being called a pinhead programmer, even in private mail
--
 Work was impossible.  The geeks had broken my spirit.  They had done
 too many things wrong.  It was never like this for Mencken.  He lived