Re: dpkg-get and closed door development ...

bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu wrote:

> And while it may be true that your packages are written for you,  I
> thought that Deity was being written for users.

All packages are written for users.  It's just that users forget that
volunteer writers write code because it's fun.  If users place too many
demands on the developer (i.e. by nagging them), it is no longer fun.
Ultimately all free programming is done for the satisfaction of the
developper, not their users.

As long as users don't get demanding (i.e. expect the developper to be
at their beck and call) and treat them with a bit of respect, I've found
almost any developper will respond very well to their suggestions.

The best way for things like this to work in my experience is for
developpers to ask for ideas/advice, and then when people give it, don't
expect the developper to necessarily take it.  It was afterall, only
advice.   The project is still the developper's.

> What really gets to me is the stirrings of hypocricy I'm seeing.
> While Bruce is out claiming open source software is good, while the
> developers have stood behind the DSFG, and everyone is publically
> endorsing the "Cathedral and Bazarre" article by Eric Raymond, behind
> the scenes we have prominant, well-respected developers threatening to
> abandon the bazarre and head into the cathedral.

No offense, but it is demanding views like the ones you are portraying
that are pushing people to do this.  If everyone just backed off I think
everything would get a lot better.  It is a catch-22 situation.  When
the bazarre becomes to demanding or sometimes even insulting, then
anyone would withdraw from that model.  That's human nature.

I find it incredible that people expect other people to remain open even
when they are being attacked.  Sheesh.

> For what it's worth, the discussion to change the name wasn't brought
> forth by a user, but by Bruce Perens, who, when shoved, cited Ian
> Murdock as another person concerned by it.  Neither of whom deserve
> the level of contempt that is implied by you comments above.  But I
> don't expect that to matter, since Bruce got attacked with "what have
> you done for us lately?", instead of respected.

Please reread the thread.  Bruce did not get attacked out of the blue
like you are implying.  He pushed the Deity team too hard by imposing
his own views.  And people responded to that pushing.  Yes, the Deity
team pushed back, but we didn't start the pushing match.

> > ps: not that I have contributed much to deity; but I do contribute to
> >     Debian.
>
> Then by your own logic, you should have as much say in Deity as I have
> in kernel-package.

Except for the fact that he is on the Deity team, which guarantees him a
say in Deity's name in my book.  We've asked for input from the user
community, but that does not imply that there is a vote on the name.
The Deity team will ultimately choose the new name.

Thanks,

Behan

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com